Attention beginner runners: Don’t be afraid – running is simple, easy and totally addictive. Here’s what you need to get you out the door and into your first 5K.
1. A good training plan. Here are our favorites: Marathon Training Academy 5k Plan; Cool Running Couch to 5K; Shape Magazine Beginner 5K Plan; Look for a plan that incorporates cross training, rest and running days 3-4 days a week.
2. Properly fitted running shoes. We’re huge fans of Super Jock n’ Jill in Seattle.
3. A watch. Keep track of your run/walks; Casio Sport Multi-Function, Amazon, $23.96
4. A good sports bra. Find one that’s comfortable, breathable and supportive. 50 Rep Bra, Lululemon, $42
5. Patience. Any runner will tell you conquering your first 3 miles is the hardest part of becoming a runner. Hang in there and know we’ve all suffered, sweated, iced shin splints and wondered if running was worth the red-faced huffing and puffing.